Saturday 20 August 2011

The Porcelain Seat


Now now. All you Pottery Barn enthusiasts, you better hold your horses. This isn’t a new appeal scripted for your coterie by the marketing minds of Pottery Barn. Don’t get me wrong, I am not undermining the prowess of such impeccable intellectuals. It is just another insane (but true), mundane activity that we may be oblivious of.

So what does a rational and sane human being do on or implement with such a controversial seat? Drink from it? Dogs would give a thumbs up! for that (in their case, a paw up!). That would barf me up though – a huge barf session.

On a serious note, the porcelain seat is a rendezvous point between you and your very own cranium sans the clutter and disarray of all genres of a social circle. It is the shrine where every soul tends to, on all “twos” go into a state of introspection.

In my case, “relief” comes along with the seat in fine print. However, it directs me to a much greater calling than just a bland emotion of relief. I tend to solve a lot of the issues sitting on the porcelain stool. I kinda can relate to Auguste Rodin (the sculptor of the historically acclaimed bronze masterpiece—“The Thinker”) as to why a man would be at his best thinking position – sitting down. I feel like this work of art every time I get seated on the “seat”.

According to a new University of British Columbia study, it finds that our brains are much more active when we daydream than previously thought. The study, published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, finds that activity in numerous brain regions increases when our minds wander. It also finds that brain areas associated with complex problem-solving – previously thought to go dormant when we daydream – are in fact highly active during these episodes.

Now resting my case, where else do can we allow our brain to wander aimlessly (“aimlessly” is an understatement to the study stated a paragraph back) but also solving most of our innermost trivial issues? Answer: The porcelain seat!

So the next time the “pressure train” rams you—hard! and beckons you to The Thinker’s seat (forgive me, Mr Auguste Rodin for borrowing your “nude dude” in vain), think of it as an appointment to your shrink wherein a load of your shenanigans can be decrypted and solved.

So, go! Don’t “hold back”, just “let go”.

P.S: For the simple minded, synonyms for the Porcelain Seat: the john, the can, the crapper, the thunder mug or just wait for “it”, you’ll be acquainted to it shortly.

1 comment:

  1. I love this idea. It happens for me at times. In the shower as well. I've been struck by how my thoughts will rearrange themselves when I have nothing to focus my attention on. When my mind gets to wander at these times, it is a great way to make new connections between ideas. I can do some good brainstorming for how I want to use my time over the upcoming days, or what I want to focus on as I move into the future.

    These periods of time often feel like unproductive distractions beforehand; I'm loath to "waste" my time when I could be reading, getting a task done, or writing, but there's no point to having input of ideas into your brain without letting ideas float around and make connections. In fact, combining things in new ways is a great definition of creativity. Allowing the process of your thoughts wandering during downtime will probably make you more creative rather than less; the missed time is not actually wasted, because you end up with better ideas than if you had used all your time actively trying to come up with them. 

    ReplyDelete